Re: [Kiobuf-io-devel] RFC: Kernel mechanism: Compound event wait

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 13:38:47 EST

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > > Could you explain this?
> >
> > If the server is sending many small files, disk spends huge
> > amount time walking directory tree and seeking to inodes. Maybe
> > opening the file is even slower than reading it
>
> Not if you have a big enough inode_cache and dentry_cache.
>
> OTOH ... if you have enough memory the whole async IO argument
> is moot anyway because all your files will be in memory too.

Note that this _is_ an important point.

You should never _ever_ think about pure IO speed as the most important
thing. Even if you get absolutely perfect IO streaming off the fastest
disk you can find, I will beat you every single time with a cached setup
that doesn't need to do IO at all.

90% of the VFS layer is all about caching, and trying to avoid IO. Of the
rest, about 9% is about trying to avoid even calling down to the low-level
filesystem, because it's faster if we can handle it at a high level
without any need to even worry about issues like physical disk addresses.
Even if those addresses are cached.

The remaining 1% is about actually getting the IO done. At that point we
end up throwing our hands in the air and saying "ok, this will be slow".

So if you design your system for disk load, you are missing a big portion
of the picture.

There are cases where IO really matter. The most notable one being
databases, certainly _not_ web or ftp servers. For web- or ftp-servers you
buy more memory if you want high performance, and you tend to be limited
by the network speed anyway (if you have multiple gigabit networks and
network speed isn't an issue, then I can also tell you that buying a few
gigabyte of RAM isn't an issue, because you are obviously working for
something like the DoD and have very little regard for the cost of the
thing ;)

For databases (and for file servers that you want to be robust over a
crash), IO throughput is an issue mainly because you need to put the damn
requests in stable memory somewhere. Which tends to mean that _write_
speed is what really matters, because the reads you can still try to cache
as efficiently as humanly possible (and the issue of database design then
turns into trying to find every single piece of locality you can, so that
the read caching works as well as possible).

Short and sweet: "aio_open()" is basically never supposed to be an issue.
If it is, you've misdesigned something, or you're trying too damn hard to
single-thread everything (and "hiding" the threading that _does_ happen by
just calling it "AIO" instead - lying to yourself, in short).

                Linus