alpha bug ???

From: Stefano Curtarolo (auro@nietzsche.mit.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 20:09:30 EST

Hi friends,

I dont know for sure, but I think I found a bug in the SMP kernel for
alpha. This is what happens: (I have a Es40 with 4 processors and 6.5 GB
of ram)
1) if I compile 2.3.99.9 or 2.4.0 with SMP/network support (eepro100), the
network doesnot work at all. Ping everywhere gives never answer.
2) if I compile with with SMP but with network as module, the network
doesnot work at the beginning. After, If I remove the module and I install
it again the network works until a big file (tipically more than 20-50
megs) is transferred. After that the networks hangs with a lot of time
outs, and I have to remove/reinstall the module again. Sometimes the
network hangs and crashes all the system.
3) if I compile WITHOUT the SMP but with the network, everything works
well....

never got this problem with other alpha single processors systems.

It seems that there is a conflict between the PCI IRQ and CPUS.
Can I manually change the irq assignment in the PCI boot, to avoid this
conflict ??

Thanks

Stefano Curtarolo