Re: [patch] Re: PYXIS bug detection

From: Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 20:28:20 EST

Hi Ivan,

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 12:29:07PM +0100, Kurt Garloff wrote:
> As your patch is easier, I think it's preferable. It's also more general, as

I wonder whether it really is.

Floppy access won't work anymore. Instead I get those:

Dec 21 02:04:18 pws kernel: pci_map_single failed: no hw sg
Dec 21 02:04:20 pws last message repeated 3 times
Dec 21 02:04:20 pws kernel: FAT: bogus logical sector size 14889
Dec 21 02:04:20 pws kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 02:00.

With my own patch, floppy access still works.
Strange enough, I don't see any corruption for writes to floppy, but the ISA
DMA controller is behind the PCI bridge, of course.

> Please submit your patch to Marcelo & Linus.

Maybe wait for a moment.

What's better:
* Use my patch (and risk other Busmaster on the primary PCI to get corrupted
  data)
* Use yours (and break floppy driver)?
* Fix the floppy driver to handle the pci_map_single failures?

Regards,

--
Kurt Garloff  <garloff@suse.de>                          Eindhoven, NL
GPG key: See mail header, key servers         Linux kernel development