Re: Apache httpd & AXP-LINUX

Koyama Tadayoshi (scottw@frontier.wilpaterson.edu)
Thu, 5 Sep 1996 18:28:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Koyama Tadayoshi wrote:

> I found this problem and it's workaround is reported by someone. The
> workaround is on "http://www.qosina.com/~awm/apache/linux-top.html",
> linked from "http://www.apache.org/docs/perf.html"

I just looked at this (its linux-tcp.html, not linux-top.html,
BTW), and this is _NOT_ the solution. Thanks for trying, though.

The page says:

When my httpd server is under very heavy load, it stops responding.

This is due to a "tunning" problem in the networking code of many BSD
driven system, including Linux.
Use one of the 2.0 kernels. This will fix these problems.
If you can't. Use 1.2.13 and use the following patches:

I'm already using a 2.0 kernel, and I have the problem, and _NOT_
under heavy load. The system is only being tested, and therefore barely
being used.

Scott D. Webster I had far rather walk, as I do, in daily terror
Senior, Computer Science of eternity, than feel that this was only a
William Paterson College children's game in which all of the contestants
http://www.wilpaterson.edu would get equally worthless prizes in the end.
/home/students/webster/index.htm - T. S. Elliot