Is there a way to benchmark general kernel performance?

From: Steve Snyder (swsnyder@home.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 16:33:09 EST

I've read varying opinions as to whether this or that compiler option
will really improve the performance of the Linux (versions 2.2.1x)
kernel. This is with egcs v1.1.2.

Does changing the default "-m486" to "-march=i686" really improve the
code generated? If I change the default "-O2" to "-O3" will the code
run faster or just consume more RAM?

Without benchmarking it's all just speculation. So... is there a
method for measuring generalized kernel performance? If not for
general performance, how about specific features of the kernel?

Thank you.

*** Steve Snyder ***