Re: [2.2.14] bttv: missing CONFIG_VIDEO_MSP3400

From: Andreas Muck (andi@koala.rhein-neckar.de)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 17:07:09 EST

adve@oce.nl (Arjan van de Ven) writes:

>In article <m3k8loojie.fsf@mantuzo.rhein-neckar.de> you wrote:
>> CONFIG_VIDEO_MSP3400 is missing from drivers/char/Config.in.
>
>That's because it is in the lowlevel-sound section...

Hmm... I don't have a sound card[1] so I would have never thought that
I have to enable "Sound card support" and "OSS sound modules", then go
to "low level sound drivers" just to get a fully working BTTV driver.

>(Where it actually belongs, as it integrates with the sound stuff, more than
>with the bttv stuff)

Isn't it unusual to have the code and the configure option is
different directories?

I don't know what else uses the msp3400 code, but for a normal user it
belongs to bttv, not to the sound card section. At least there should
be a note in CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848's help, telling the user to go to the
sound section to enable sound support for bttv.

And maybe rename "Sound card support" to "Sound support", because I
don't see the TV card as a sound card :-)

Andi

[1] I do, but I use OSS/Commercial, not the kernel drivers.