Re: time_t size: The year 2038 bug?

From: Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 17:12:22 EST

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Dominik Kubla wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 03:32:53PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > I think that before 38 years is up, none of us will be using 32-bit
> > machines so, even if I was 10 years old, I wouldn't bother 'fixing'
> > 32-bit machines. Even Intel's new stuff is 64 bits.
>
> Incidentally this is the exact argument that reportedly was used against
> those who warned about the Y2K problen in late seventies/early eighties!

well... Codasyl (Conference of Data Systems Languages) was 1959/1960 it
had to have been hard to imagine that code or practices written then might
still be in use forty years later, particularly when business computing
had only emerged in the previous decade,and computers at all in the the
one previous to that. it's perhaps easy to to call them shortsighted, but
to be honest who could have imagined this?

The 2038 issue is more similar to the gps rollover (ie week 1024 midnight
august 21 1999) then it is to y2k datefield issues. you have two solutions
either larger counters or you just let it roll over and start counting
from a new time 0 (ie time 0 for gps was 00:00:00 UTC jan 6 1980 now time
0 for gps is 00:00:00 UTC aug 22 1999). There's nothing intrisically wrong
with continuing to use 32bit signed int for unix dates and just moving the
unix epoch from 00:00:00 jan 1 1970 to 03:14:07 January 19, 2038 UTC and
presumably if 32 machines are still in use that will require only minor
adjustments to time_t. the gps epoch will be ready to roll over again in
the fall of that year having already rolled over again in 2019.

> Yours,
> Dominik Kubla
>
> -

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E