Re: Can a process use up more than 910MB?

From: Dominik Kubla (dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 17:56:41 EST

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 11:17:58PM +0100, Peter Tufvesson wrote:

> It turned out that a 2.1.12 kernel compiled for 1GB of physical memory
> only allowed the process to allocate 910MB! Can anyone comment on this? I
> believed it would be possible to use more... I also run two of these
> processes in parallel, and then both got exactly the same amount, 910MB...

That is no bug, it's intended to be so! Just read the relevant header file
<asm/page.h>:

 * A __PAGE_OFFSET of 0xC0000000 means that the kernel has
 * a virtual address space of one gigabyte, which limits the
 * amount of physical memory you can use to about 950MB. If
 * you want to use more physical memory, change this define.
 *

Yours,
  Dominik Kubla