Re: time_t size: The year 2038 bug?

From: Bill Wendling (wendling@ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 22:58:54 EST

Also sprach Dominik Kubla:
} On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 06:55:11PM -0600, Bill Wendling wrote:
} >
} > So, I'm simply saying that, while looking into my crystal ball, the vast
} > majority of people in 2038 will be running 64-bit machines and that OS
} > support for 32-bit machines will hold the similar facination that support
} > for 16-bit machines does today.
} >
}
} Well then let me peer into my crystal ball:
}
} The vast majority of people will use _NO_ dedicated computer systems,
} they happen to be part of the environment: small embedded system tailored
} for a specific purpose (like climate control or audio/video decoding)
} which will work together over a network. For those who need all purpose
} computing power, they will simply rent them like you might rent a car today.
}
And a colleague of mine has another view...that there will be no OSes in
the future. My references to "crystal ball" and "putting my foot squarly
in my mouth" are attempts to say that noone can predict what will happen
in 38 years in this industry except that we can be fairly certain that it
will look nothing like it is today.

This argument is kinda silly. time_t is obviously broken for 32-bit
systems. There needs to be a fix if people think it will be relevent.
However, IMHO, it should not be part of the kernel proper, or whatever.

        Bill