Re: time_t size: The year 2038 bug?

From: Bill Wendling (wendling@ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 00:55:58 EST

Also sprach Bear Giles:
}
} I agree that 38 years sounds like a long time, but I'm willing to put up
} a check with a trusted third party (ACM?) that code written for the US Air
} Traffic Control System upgrade that was supposed to replace those '60s
} and '70s vintage systems still in use today (and crashing with disturbing
} regularity) will still be operational in at least one control center in
} 2038. Last I heard that modernization effort is still underway, but
} we should be able to start the clock rolling by 2005 giving you over 30
} years to win the bet.
}
No contest there. The software engineering process these people have to
go through so that the ATC software is approved is extreme. However, if
you talk with air traffic controllers or read articles on them, you'll
know that their systems are far from ideal.

Old code is great when it works, but we are pushing the limits of that
code even now.

} P.S., I'm not worried about ATC computers. I'm worried about a computer
} in *my* hospital room, although I should still be a spry 77 and I'm *far*
} more worried that it will be running NT. :-)
}
Critical life-dependent systems will always be special. You'll never go
out and get the "latest" upgrade unless it's be thouroughly tested.
Various federal agencies regulate this rather tightly.

        Bill