Re: [2.2.14] bttv: missing CONFIG_VIDEO_MSP3400

From: Gerd Knorr (kraxel@goldbach.in-berlin.de)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 02:26:20 EST

> >(Where it actually belongs, as it integrates with the sound stuff, more than
> >with the bttv stuff)
>
> Isn't it unusual to have the code and the configure option is
> different directories?
>
> I don't know what else uses the msp3400 code, but for a normal user it
> belongs to bttv, not to the sound card section.

It optionally (if the kernel is compiled with CONFIG_SOUND) registers
as sound mixer, so you can adjust the volume of the TV card with a
mixer tool of your choice. That's the only thing it has common with
sound card drivers.

> At least there should
> be a note in CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848's help, telling the user to go to the
> sound section to enable sound support for bttv.

I'd move the config option to the v4l-Config.in. The chip is useful
for TV-Sound, you'll never find this chip on a "normal" sound card.
It does'nt belong into the sound card section IMO, and this will
confuse alot of users.

  Gerd