Re: 2.2.x lockup

From: Chris Meadors (chris@hereintown.net)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 09:43:16 EST

Keith Owens wrote:

> On 06 Jan 2000 14:23:59 +0100,
> Arnaud Gomes-do-Vale <arnaud@carrosse.frmug.org> wrote:
> >The box was completely
> >frozen, no disk activity, no num lock, no alt+sysrq
> >combo. Unfortunately, I have no trace of oops or anything like that ;
> >however, as I was looking at the console, I guess I would have seen
> >one if it had occured :-)
>
> Not necessarily, if syslogd was frozen then you would not see any
> output, even if an oops occurred. A serial console will often capture
> the oops, even if syslog is dead.
>
> >Hardware is dual celeron 433 on an abit bp6 mb
>
> A lot of people are seeing hangs on bp6. So much so that there is a
> separate mailing list, email Majordomo@listserv.geek.net, "subscribe
> linux-abit". Unfortunately we have no handle on this problem yet, only
> guesses.

Well as long as people are only guessing. I noticed the orginal post
mentioned a G200 graphic card, and the fact that he was tail'ing syslog
while using the console scroll back. One thing he didn't mention was
wether he is using the frame buffer console on the G200. I know I was
warned by the author of G200 fb driver (a while ago, it may not still
apply) not to be viewing the scroll back while something may still be
writing to the console.