Re: 2.3.36-USB-keyboard: missing scancode

From: Martin Costabel (costabel@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 15:17:28 EST

Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 12:46:36PM +0100, Martin Costabel wrote:
>
> > On a French Apple USB ISO keyboard, they are
> >
> > - "50 = grave poundsterling(?)", that would be "backslash bar" for a
> > usb.map,
> > same as scancode 49, so there should be a "43" instead of "0" at
> > usb_kbd_keycode[50]
>
> Is there a backslash bar key on your keyboard as well?

No, on Apple keyboards, one traditionally gets backslash and bar by
alt-shift-slash (or alt-shift-semicolon) and alt-shift-L (in some
popular French Linux macintosh keymaps, they are assigned to the
corresponding US key, however: who needs a pound sterling sign?)

> > - "100 = at numbersign". This key doesn't exist on Apple ANSI keyboards.
> > In the USB->ADB map, this should be mapped to keycode 10, so if I
> > understand
> > correctly, because of usb_kbd_keycode[100]=86, there
> > should be a keybdev_mac_codes[86]=10 (it is 0 right now.)
>
> Ok, fixed. This is the '102nd key'.
>
> > This will still not be quite perfect (and it's impossible to get it
> > perfect, I think). The keys 100=at/numbersign and 53=less/greater will
> > be interchanged compared to an Apple ADB keyboard (you can't interchange
> > them for ISO USB keyboards without perturbing ANSI USB keyboards), but
> > at least the keys produce non-void keycodes that can be redefined using
> > a userspace keymap.
>
> Ouch.

Where would I have to look for USB specs on the net to understand this
better?

--
Martin