Re: time_t size: The year 2038 bug?

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 21:43:48 EST

> and see how many of their microprosessors can be outrun by an 8086.
> If were still using mid 70s technology what makes you think we will all be
> using the latest in 30 years ?

If there are actually any humans left in 30 years it will be a suprise, probably a nasty
one.

Changing time_t on existing systems is a huge task that isnt going to happen until it needs
too. For desktop machines the world will have moved on. Embedded boxes might need a
recompile. Fortunately with open source your vendor can't screw you by going bust or
charging you $1m for any updates

Alan