Re: sys_bind question

From: Borislav Deianov (borislav@lix.polytechnique.fr)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 20:08:06 EST

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 01:00:20PM +0100, karsten wrote:

> I made this hack, because i want to run some really old applications on
> one server, which only use bind(0.0.0.0) but use the same port, and the
> second reason i want to learn more about linux-kernel-internals.

If getting specific applications to work in a "subsystem" is all you
want, then the bind hack may be sufficient, but it's not enough to
fool all applications. Consider what happens if an application calls
connect without calling bind - what address gets used for the local
address? If an application connects to 127.0.0.1, which subsystem does
it connect to? There are also other problematic scenarios that are
less likely to bite you.

Regards,
Borislav