RE: time_t size: The year 2038 bug?

From: Jakma, Paul (Paul.Jakma@compaq.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 07:38:10 EST

> In fact, it's hard to find non-specialized '286s in
> wide distribution now.
> This is for an obvious reason -- it doesn't cost that much
> more to make a
> '486, and the potential market is larger.

there is still a huge market for old x86 chips... even secondhand. Now think
of all the other 8/16 bit arch's targetted at embedded market.

> Not so. The 64-bit chip can run with a lower clock rate
> and still get the
> same amount of work done, reducing EMI. Why will it need more or more
> exensive ancillary compents? No law says the external bus
> implementation has
> to be 64-bits.

64 bit chip needs significantly more gates than a 32bit one. and hence will
draw exponentially more power, unless it's made with a significantly higher
tech process -> which means cost. Bus interface is another factor.

old chips have a minimal (even free) design cost. Fab is cheap cause you can
use an out-of-date process. Yield is very high because the process is well
tested and understood.

cheap... cheap.. cheap...

> Bull. The volume of the 64-bit chip will be much higher
> since it can do a
> larger range of tasks.

so you think that 4/8/16 bit chips aren't shipping in volume today? You
think that only the state-of-the-art has volume? You are mistaken, it's the
other way around.

> Sure, but those tasks will be done by 64-bit chips even
> though they're
> suitable for 32-bit chips. Everything will. It's the same
> reason I'm using a
> P3-500 to write this email even though a '386 would suffice
> for the task. We
> redefine the tasks to fit the available hardware.

sorry, but you are extrapolating based on trends in
workstation/desktop/server CPU. Embedded is a totally different ball game.

Anyway, as you and others have said, there is no crystal ball. We can't know
whether 32bit chips will still be in use by 2038. However we can prepare for
that eventuality.

So let's leave it at that.

> DS

regards,