Re: Spooky knfsd messages from 2.2.14

From: Ben McCann (bmccann@indusriver.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 11:35:24 EST

This may or may not be related. I have two PC's running 2.2.14 that
NFS mount a filesystem from a 2.2.13 server. (All Intel UP boxes).
Each of the 2.2.14 PC's lost my current working directory (i.e.
I couldn't see any of the files in the directory) when I was cd'ed
into an NFS mounted filesystem. This is an intermittent failure that
just seems to happen after minutes or even hours of normal use.
I tried 'ls ../..' and got an unusual error:

        ls ../..
        ls: ../..: Input/output error

I've _never_ seen this kind of error on these systems before in
any earlier 2.2 kernel. I was able to 'cd' from the root of my file
system tree to the affected directory and then everything was fine
again for a while and then later, this failure occurred again.

I had this kind of error happen on each of my 2.2.14 machines about
once or twice (each) during the course of a 3 hour work session.

The next time this occurs I'll check 'dmesg' to see if the spooky
KNFSD messages referenced in the previous message are occurring
on my machines too.

-Ben McCann

--
Ben McCann                              Indus River Networks
                                        31 Nagog Park