Re: /proc guidelines and sysctl

From: Mark van Walraven (markv@wave.co.nz)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 18:23:25 EST

> > Which leads me wonder how difficult it would be if I wanted to change the
> > format of /proc/partitions from:

> > That is, to include the partition type.
>
> It would be very easy. Please don't.

:-)

I guess I meant "how difficult to get approval." And the answer
is apparently "virtually impossible."

> On the other hand, finding p->sys_ind is completely trivial
> (read the partition table and look up this field - you can steal
> the code from any *fdisk version).

Hmm, I wouldn't exactly say *trivial*: there are a lot of different
partition table formats to support and the need to remain consistent
with the kernel. Never mind - it can be done another way, as you say.

> Andries

Thanks for responding,

Mark.