Re: /proc guidelines and sysctl

From: Martin Dalecki (dalecki@cs.net.pl)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 05:54:45 EST

Andre Hedrick wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Richard Zidlicky wrote:
>

> > > root:/proc/ide# find /proc/ide
> > > /proc/ide
> > > /proc/ide/drivers
> > > /proc/ide/hdd
> > > /proc/ide/ide1
> > > /proc/ide/ide1/hdd
> > > /proc/ide/ide1/hdd/capacity
> > > /proc/ide/ide1/hdd/settings
> > > /proc/ide/ide1/hdd/model
> > > /proc/ide/ide1/hdd/media
> > > /proc/ide/ide1/hdd/identify
> > > /proc/ide/ide1/hdd/driver
> > > /proc/ide/ide1/model
> > > /proc/ide/ide1/mate
> > > /proc/ide/ide1/config
> > > /proc/ide/ide1/channel
> > > /proc/ide/hda
> > > /proc/ide/ide0
> > > /proc/ide/ide0/hda
> > > /proc/ide/ide0/hda/smart_thresholds
> > > /proc/ide/ide0/hda/smart_values
> > > /proc/ide/ide0/hda/geometry
> > > /proc/ide/ide0/hda/cache
> > > /proc/ide/ide0/hda/capacity
> > > /proc/ide/ide0/hda/settings
> > > /proc/ide/ide0/hda/model
> > > /proc/ide/ide0/hda/media
> > > /proc/ide/ide0/hda/identify
> > > /proc/ide/ide0/hda/driver
> > > /proc/ide/ide0/model
> > > /proc/ide/ide0/mate
> > > /proc/ide/ide0/config
> > > /proc/ide/ide0/channel
> > >
> > > Hell only God know's what they are good for!
> > > And there is no userland tool for this. This is the
> > > last thing Mark Lord added before ditching ide developement.
>
> And what is the issue, you do not like the new management?

If you mean by management I don't know, acutally I didn't much in
respect of IDE
since Mark Lord's departure (to express it euphemetically).
But I rememeber that he promised to imeplement a new "dancing" version
of hdparm based on the stuff above. And where is it? No I'm never going
to mess with my hd by catting some magic values here and there. It's
just
to error prone for my taste...

And then I know about several admins who complain about IDE performance
on
heavy load system, who just didn't figure out how to enable BM-DMA on
the corresponding
boxes, where it doesn't get turn on by defalut due to the linux
distributors desire
to "play safe"...

--Marcin Dalecki