Re: [ANNOUNCE] block device interfaces changes

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 20:44:25 EST

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
>
> > Folks, there are changes underway in block device interface and
> > some of them made it into 2.3.38.
> [SNIP...]
>
> Good grief Charley Brown! You, in a few key-strokes, just blew away
> major portions of the work done over the past few years by software
> engineers who ported their drivers to Linux. Linux will never be
> accepted as a 'professional' operating system if this continues.

Imminent death of Linux is predicted; GIFs at 11...

> It's enough of a problem putting one's job on-the-line convincing
> management to risk new product development to Linux. Once these
[snip "they will fire my ass if they'll know"]
You know, considering the level of clue you've demonstrated...

> Industry is at war.
Really?
> You can't do this stuff to the only weapons
> we have.

Paging Monty Python... Paging Monty Python...

> Once you claim to have a "Professional Operating System",
> its development must be handled in a professional way. If major
> kernel interface components continue to change, Linux is in
> a heap of trouble as are most all of those who are trying to
> incorporate it into new designs.

> The industrial use of Linux is not at the desktop. It involves
> writing drivers for obscure things like machine controllers
> (read telescope controllers), Digital signal processors (read
> medical imaging processors), and other stuff you can't buy at the
> computer store. It doesn't matter if you fix all of Donald Becker's
> drivers to interface with the new kernel internals. You have still
> broken most everything that counts.

Like your ability to read? FYI: one of the worst things about block
drivers-to-kernel interface is that they share it with files. I.e. _any_
change in file_operations or in struct file or in struct inode and you are
deep in it. Change the size of any field prior to ->i_dev and you are in
for recompile. Change <gasp> device number bitness and even recompile may
be of little help. Removing those dependencies (not all of them are
removed yet, more will follow) is going to save _your_ ass a year later.
Said that, if your position includes the kernel work and you can't tell
Becker's drivers from the block devices... I'm not sure that your ass is
worth saving. And if you are going to use block devices for DSP - you
ought to start looking for new job. Preferably in a different field.