Re: sched fixes 2.3.36

From: Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 20:43:01 EST

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > avoiding a TLB flush. I did not benchmarks to check it's better but +1 is
> > way too low IMHO. Also it make a lots of sense to make it a per-arch thing
>
> If you increase it above +1 bad things happen and tasks get
> starved unfairly at least from testing with 2.1.x before 2.2. I
> dont think anything has changd which will have altered this.

It might be an idea, however, to increase this bonus to
the number of processors in the system. That way we can
enjoy a little more throughput on an smp system without
the penalty of unresponsiveness.

A few other things have changed since 2.1.x too, maybe
the patch makes sense on up systems too, but I doubt
that the value should be as large as Andrea puts it...

Andrea, have you tested your patch on a loaded UP system
and tested the interactive feel of the system under X?

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.