Re: Announce: initrd-tftp 0.1

From: Erik Andersen (andersen@xmission.com)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 13:26:59 EST

On Sun Jan 09, 2000 at 05:34:53PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > you can just append a very small initrd to the kernel which does
> > dhcp (or bootp) and then loads the real rootfs ramdisk via tftp into
> > ram1 - entirely in userspace. Yes, someone needs to do this very small
> > neat first-stage initrd, but it seems at least possible to me.
>
> A standalone well hand tuned tftp client occupies about 8K

Don't forget that when run as an initrd, it would have to be staticly
linked against libc and friends (making it at weigh in at about 300k),
or it has to be assembler -- very small but throwing out cross-platform
portability, and making it subject to kernel interface changes.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org