Re: value of /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag changing due to masquerade traffic

From: Julian Anastasov (uli@linux.tu-varna.acad.bg)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 05:28:08 EST

        Hi,

Ralf Nyren wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've noticed that when ip-traffic, to be masqueraded, is sent through my
> firewall the value of /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag changes up and
> down. Both positive and negative values have been observed.
>
> This is rather annoying since when the value occasionally hits 0 the
> defrag option is disabled (at least for non-masqueraded traffic),
> my firewall starts dropping fragments since there is no rule for them.
> (In a normal case all packets are defragged before hitting the
> firewall code)
> Setting /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag back to 1 temporary solves
> the problem until masq traffic changes it again.
>

> A quick look in net/ipv4/ip_masq.c and ip_fw.c tells that probably
> some of the sysctl_ip_always_defrag++ (or --) calls runs a bit
> uncontrolled. But that's just a guess.

        Set 1 to /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag before the first masq
connection (at net set up) and don't change it anymore or use:

echo 1000000000 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag

        You even don't need to help masquerade by changing this value.

        The negative values are possible only when you set the value to 1.

Regards,

Julian Anastasov