Re: [ANNOUNCE] block device interfaces changes

From: Vladimir Dergachev (vdergach@sas.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 15:46:50 EST

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:

> > > No, thanks. Character devices _are_ different; by coincidence we
> > > are using 16bit integers to refer both to block and character devices, but
> > > that's about it.
> >
> > But they're still both "files". What is gained by having any code outside
> > of the functions that are pointed to in the file operations table know
> > there's a difference? I just don't get it. How is this simpler? Why can't
> > a device id (type:major:minor) simply be a way to locate the file
> > operations table for a device?
>
> Because they are _more_ than files. Because their native interface is
> _not_ a file one. Because there is a way to produce a file interface from
> block device one and _that_ is what fs/block_dev.c does. I.e. it's an
> interface converter.
>
> Now, look at the mount(). Or swapon(). Tell me, where is a file? Or inode,
> for that matter (esp. for root mount). See also ioctl() usage in ISOFS.
> Where the hell is a file? See also raw devices - there you _have_ file,
> but the problem is that it's already in use.

You can look at mount as a fancy version of link. We have hard links (any
file), we have soft links (pointers to location), nothing prevents us from
having "mount links".

As for swapon we can make "/proc/memory/swap/" directory with semantics
that when we make "mount link" in it it adds swap.

My own opinion is that sufficiently generic model can always explain
other models in its own terms. However, abstract models aside, one should
look at the nature of what he/she is trying to accomplish to make a
decision.

 What is block device ? An array of records. The size of it doesn't
change while in use. The records can be stored an retrieved.

 What is character device ? (I'll take an example of serial port)
Communications channel - you can read and write to it, but usually
data read and written is not preserved. Its size depends on the amount
of data available to be read. (or you can say that size is not defined)

 What is file ? mixture of both. You can consider it as array of records
and you read and write from it.

 Now I think it's obvious that block devices and character devices are
two different beasts. Whatever you do in the end a device driver _will_
have to distinguish them - because it deals with a physical device and
not an abstract concept.

                       Vladimir Dergachev