CD-ROM Driver Design

From: JM Geremia (jgeremia@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 18:27:43 EST

Jens,

Is it possible to perform reads through the block_dev interface with an
audio CD in the drive? I have been playing around with this for a little
bit and can't get ll_rw_block() to do it. I have only been able to read
data off an audio CD using CDROMREADAUDIO. Is that correct?

The reason I ask is because I'm in the processes of writing an audio CD
filesystem. The tracks are available as .wav or .au files. So far,
everything is working, but I cannot use the block buffer infrastructure
because of the block reading problem.

It seems to me that the kernel should be able to recognize and deal
with audio CDs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that the kernel
should provide obvious user space functionality such as doing mp3
encoding, etc, but the need for CD rippers seems extraneous.

Any thoughts?

JM