Re: core dump

From: Matthew Dharm (mdharm@one-eyed-alien.net)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 18:55:08 EST

Why not just attach gdb to the running process?

Matt Dharm

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, The Lost Wizard wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Christophe leroy wrote:
> > >Is there a way to make a core dump of a program without killing it,
> > >in order to make some debugging while the program is still running ?
> >
> > kill -SEGV <pid>
> >
> > or
> >
> > kill -11 <pid>
> >
> > or
> >
> > killall -SEGV <process name>
> >
> > I believe that will do it, so long as coredumps are not disabled.
>
> No, that won't do it. It will terminate the process. My understanding of
> the question is that he wanted to get a core dump and leave the process
> running.
>
> I have a couple of situations where that would be handy as well.
>
> William Astle
> "Floppity, floppity, flip / The mouse on the mobius strip; / The strip
> revolved, / The mouse dissolved / In a chronodimensional skip."

> -

Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm@one-eyed-alien.net
Engineer, Qualcomm, Inc.                         Work: mdharm@qualcomm.com

Okay, this isn't funny anymore! Let me down! I'll tell Bill on you!! -- Microsoft Salesman User Friendly, 4/1/1998