Re: [idea] request_module(const char *fmt, ...);

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 03:19:40 EST

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 07:45:31 +0000 (GMT),
Tigran Aivazian <tigran@sco.COM> wrote:
>On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Keith Owens wrote:
>> (2) Make the new name a macro which becomes a no-op when CONFIG_KMOD is
>> not defined.
>
>gcc did not like macros with variable number of arguments but I am sure it
>was my fault. I will try to find an example of a macro with variable
>number of arguments in the kernel source and do the same.

Cancel that idea, I was wrong. If request_modulef is a macro then
turning CONFIG_KMOD on or off will recompile everything that references
request_modulef, that can be a large chunk of the kernel. Use a real
function instead, then changing CONFIG_KMOD only recompiles one source.