Re: [idea] request_module(const char *fmt, ...);

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@sco.COM)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 02:55:27 EST

> > On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
> > > The only thing to watch for is literal module name
> > > passing - if you know that name will never contain % you are fine,
> > > otherwise you'll need to go for "%s",name.

what I propose to do about it is to keep the old request_module() (as
Keith also says) and have a new request_modulef(). The rationale is - the
whole point of this is to eliminate the wasted CPU cycles of doing
sprintf() when CONFIG_KMOD is undefined and not have CONFIG_KMOD
everywhere. So, if I:

 a) figure out the macros with variable number of arguments

 and

 b) have both request_module() (for things like get_fs_type) and
    request_modulef() for anything that constructs module name from
    prefix and integer(s)

then it should be acceptable, right?

Tigran.