Modules ??

From: Helge Hafting (helgehaf@idb.hist.no)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 05:50:41 EST

>I would like to write a module which is
>precompiled and which can be dynamically loaded
>with any version of the kernel without any
>recompilation of the kernel. Is this possible??

No, it is not possible. Some different versioned
kernels may work with the same modules, most will not.

Also note that modules for a SMP kernel won't work with
a uniprocessor kernel and vice-versa, even if it is
exactly the same version number. Kernels with and without
the 64GB memory setup also need different modules for the
same version.

Distributing kernel modules for a wide range of versions
is still possible though - by distributing source code.
If your customers or whatever are unfamiliar with source
code, consider distributing a script that does the compiling
for them as a part of installation.

Helge Hafting