2.3.39 and libc5 (was Re: 2.3.39 doesn`t build xconfig...)

From: Bob_Tracy (rct@gherkin.sa.wlk.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 08:09:21 EST

David Dyck wrote:

> When I attempt
> make xconfig
> I get the error
> /usr/include/linux/types.h:35: parse error before `old_uid_t'
>
> A simple one line program (uidt.c)
> #include <signal.h>
> also gets errors with respect to old_uid_t
> /usr/include/asm/siginfo.h:27: parse error before `old_uid_t'

I guess the bigger question is whether it is (past) time to upgrade to
glibc2. This has been weighing heavily on me for the past several
kernel releases, as I have a libc5/gcc-2.7.2.3 system that has been
working just fine even with the latest development kernels. The
separation of kernel and userspace includes is a *good* thing, but
some packages naturally seem to ride the fence (such as the pcmcia-cs
utilities). With libc5, anything that includes <signal.h> is going to
get bitten by the old_uid_t buglet mentioned above.

Since I did not see a posting elsewhere, I should mention that the
same libc5/gcc-2.7.2.3 system had problems with the final stage of
the 2.3.39 kernel build. Specifically, the `build` command would not
build because old_uid_t and old_gid_t are not defined unless __KERNEL__
is defined: <sys/types.h> problem with libc5.

--
Bob Tracy               |  "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist- "
Firewall Security Corp. |   - Last words of Union General John Sedgwick,