Re: [Semi-OT] hot-swapping kernels

From: Matthias Andree (ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 11:54:41 EST

almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch writes:

> I don't want to pass a lot of information, and it is usually converted
> into some more useful form anyway. This should quickly become a rather
> stable interface. (Note: some people have been suggesting to launch
> new kernels that take over the whole active system, preserving process
> contexts, etc. This is not what I'm suggesting. My new kernel won't
> know anything of what has happened before, except a few hundred bytes
> of hints passed using this stable interface.) In the absence of such
> information (e.g. non-SCSI kernel boots SCSI kernel), the normal scan
> can take place. Think of it like shown in this piece of metacode with
> invented names and structures:

It'd probably suffice to pass on the command line and BIOS settings
which are unavaible once Linux has booted - or for the case that the
first kernel needs a different command line than the second, find a
mechanism to pass the other on, maybe just passargs="blah \"we have
escapes\"" and just purge anything else like MMU tables and such,
i. e. have a complete fresh boot besides that.

--
Matthias Andree

Hi! I'm the infamous .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!