Re: [RFC] Maintaining persistent kernel data across module unload/reload

From: Mike Porter (mike@UDel.Edu)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 11:31:42 EST

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Keith Owens wrote:

> Some modules claim to have a need to maintain persistent data in the
> kernel even when the module is unloaded and reloaded. I can see four
> approaches to fixing this problem, there may be others. Note: this
> only applies to kernel data, it says nothing about maintaining external
> data across reboots.

OS/390 (IBM mainframe operating system) supports 'name/token
pairs'. It supports different scopes, which on a Unix system might
map to names limited to a process or names accessable to all
processes on the system. Associated with the name is a 16 byte
value. It seems to me that a service like this would be the best
way to maintain access to persistant storage across module loads
(with a suitable naming convention). Persistant storage would be
kmalloced, and a pointer to the area saved using a name/token
pair.

Mike