Re: time_t size: The year 2038 bug Summary:

From: david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 17:46:10 EST

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.1000110191822.27884G-100000@localhost>,
Daniel Taylor <dante@plethora.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> > To plan that (probably someone else) will perform a critical
>> > fix in 25 years is ludicrous.
>>
>> Yup, someone predicted (about 1900) that to 2000 streets of London
>> will be filled by 3m layer of horse shit. Luckily, this prophecy
>> was not taken seriously. :-)
>>
>Well, it didn't happen. I would say that it didn't happen, just like major
>Y2K failures have yet to show up, because someone DID take it seriously.

   No, nobody took it seriously.

   What did happen was the automobile became a commodity item, and the
   pollution went up into the atmosphere. Cars have their own horrible
   problems, but they (a) don't generate horse shit and (b) they
   encourage sprawl, which spreads the pollution around more.

   If the automobile wouldn't have been developed, London would most
   likely have banned horse traffic (or required that people using
   horses in the city carry pooper-scoopers) by the 1950s.

                 ____
   david parsons \bi/ And the trams would still be running.
                  \/