Re: Linux and webserver crashes on 2.2.x (Was: Re: Ok, I give up...)

From: David Edwards (gecker@offbeatmedia.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 02:32:38 EST

At 11:41 PM 1/12/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Every time, little memory seems to be free, little buffered, a _lot_
>cached, and hardly any swap in use. But it crashes after lots of disk
>activity. Any hints are very welcome. I don't see any userspace process
>eating all the memory, does this suggest that it might be a kernel leak?
>If so, why are only me and David Edwards suffering from it? David, does
>your setup have lots (mine has 35000) symlinks in the document root of Apache?

No I don't use very many symlinks on my webservers. But I do see memory
usage similar to what you have. One thing I have noticed on my webservers
is that before a crash, pretty much everything but apache gets swapped
out. That includes syslogd, klogd, inetd, mingetty, crond, atd,
etc... But there will only be 100 to 150 apache child processes running
when things start to get swapped out. A typical server of mine has a
Pentium III 450-500, 256M ram, adaptec 2940U2 scsi card, seagate 9 gig
drive and Intel EtherExpress Pro nic.

A couple weeks ago I set up 2.2.13 with ikd and serial consoles on several
of my server. But when a server locks up, SysRq (or Break with the serial
console) doesn't work or get anything to the console. I've checked the
memory in these servers with memtest and memtest-86 and it comes out error
free.

So I'm scratching my head like Ward is doing, not really knowing what else
to try. I'm certainly open to suggestions, because I'm kinda stumped.

David

ps. I did try Savochkin Vladimirovich's new eepro100 driver. That did take
care of some network problems I was seeing on a couple server. The other
interesting thing was that one of my web servers had a light load on it and
had an uptime of 70+ days. But last week I started pointing more traffic
to it and it has needed rebooting 3 times in the last 7 days.