Re: February 30th 2000

From: Sean Hunter (sean@uncarved.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 06:06:37 EST

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 02:54:22PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> Daniel writes:
> > This year we're going to have the day February 30th and neither Linux, AIX,
> > Windows NT, 98, 95 know this problem. Feb30th happens each 400 years (Last
> > time we had that was year 1600). There's a webpage (in portuguese) from IDG
> > http://www.uol.com.br/idgnow/corp/corp2000-01-10e.shl (you can translate it
> > at http://babelfish.altavista.com/cgi-bin/translate)
>
> This is totally wrong. The year 2000 is not even a leap year (i.e. NO Feb 29
> either), so your source of information is incorrect. It is completely
> unlikely that all of these independently created OSs have gotten this wrong,
> despite what one thinks of some of them.

That's a shame, because the rest of the world is having a party round
my house on Tuesday Feb 29, so its a pity you won't be able to come.

This is the relevant page from the UK governments Time Metrology unit:

http://www.npl.co.uk/npl/ctm/faq_index.html#2000_a_leap_year

If you don't believe the UK govt scientists, here are the US navy pages
about it:

http://psyche.usno.navy.mil/millennium/facts.html
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/AA/faq/docs/faq1.html

Here is the (correct) output of "cal 2 2000" on my redhat boxes:

    February 2000
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
       1 2 3 4 5
 6 7 8 9 10 11 12