Re: Is anyone still using ANU?

From: Tom Crane (uhap023@vms.rhbnc.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 10:36:25 EST

In article <85k80t$dir$1@techftp.technion.ac.il>, JODY@LIB.HAIFA.AC.IL writes:

> I use it regularly, but only the reader. We don't run a news server. I find it
> very convenient, especially since I use a number of other elements of my VMS

Same here. While on the subject of the client, has anybody else
experienced any of these (minor) bugs/irritants?

(1) Occasional register dumps when nntpserver (not ANU) has problems
    (presumably corrupt spool/history list etc.)
(2) Sometimes fails to mark as read a crossposted article encountered
    later in another group in a news reading session. Articles are
    genuinely crossposted (ie. Identical Message-ID).
(3) Won't do a read/topic or read/identifier - says article was not found.
    This has something to do with a bug in INN2.2 which my server runs,
    which does not return the article number from the head command. Eg.
    For read/identifier ANU news sends the command,

HEAD <message-id>

and gets back the response,

221 0 head <message-id>

and then attempts to look up ARTICLE number 0 which of course does not
exist.

The thing I cannot remember, is whether read/topic worked with previous
versions of INN on which read/identifer did work...

Tom.

--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.