Re: [RFC] 2.3.39 zone balancing

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 12:12:45 EST

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Kanoj Sarcar wrote:

>+There are two reasons to be requesting non __GFP_WAIT allocations:
>+the caller can not sleep (typically intr context), or does not want
>+to incur cost overheads of page stealing and possible swap io.

You may be in a place where you can sleep but you can't do I/O to avoid
deadlocking and so you shouldn't use __GFP_IO and nothing more (it has
nothing to do with __GFP_WAIT).

But if it can sleep and there aren't deadlock conditons going on and it
doesn't use __GFP_WAIT, it means it's buggy and has to be fixed.

I have not read the rest and the patch yet (I'll continue ASAP).

Andrea