Very rapid inode leak in 2.2.14|13...

From: Joe Cooper (joe@swelltech.com)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 08:32:35 EST

I've been running some squid benchmarks here using polygraph, and have
found that 2.2.14 (or possibly squid 2.2.STABLE5) seems to have a huge
inode leak.

Though netstat only shows a couple hundred connections, and file
descriptors are maxing out below 1000, my /proc/sys/fs/inode-nr is in
the thousands! No matter how high I set inode-max, it will grow to fill
it and well beyond. It's gone as high as 80000 before blowing up the
box. The rate of growth is about 30-60 per second depending on how much
data is flowing in and out on the network.

I've tried downgrading to 2.2.13, with similar results. I've tried
every 2.2STABLE version of squid (plus every conceivable patch) I could
find, with no change. And I've tried ext2 and reiserfs partitions, no
change.

Anyone have thoughts on what I should be looking for to figure out what
the culprit is? And/or how to fix it? I saw one mention of someone
else having inode issues in 2.2.14, but no solution or further info.

Some further info:
tulip.c net
3 UDMA 66 hard disks (IBM and Maxtor)
MVP3 motherboard (with the ATA66 chipset)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please cc: my email address, as
I'm not on the list.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com