Re: [Semi-OT] hot-swapping kernels

From: almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 00:44:23 EST

Jesse Pollard wrote:
> Last time I looked (early last year) the limit was being imposed more
> by the BIOS tending to be unable to handle addresses greater than 1024
> cylenders.

That's a different problem. The cylinder limit wouldn't prevent you
from loading kernels up to several GB anyway. Besides, the next version
of LILO will be able to go beyond cylinder 1k on many recent systems.

> a. A minimal loader (BIOS) to load a lilo (new lilo -> nlilo for the moment)

No need to change here. We'll need to preserve the existing functionality
for boot processes following the current design for a long time.

> Disadvantage (2) could be handled by using an absolutely minimal kernel
> - no scheduling, no multiuser support, full file system support

Why bother ? There aren't that many systems that need advanced kernel
features (e.g. RAID) when booting, yet lack the resources to store a
few hundred kB more. Just use a properly configured regular kernel.

Besides that, I think you got everything right.

- Werner