Re: [RFC] 2.3.39 zone balancing

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 21:46:55 EST

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Kanoj Sarcar wrote:

> But as Linus points out, recovering from that is not that costly
> (the page will be in the swapcache mostly, its just the cost of
> the page fault).

note that i was not worried a bit about swapping performance. Swapping is
slow, conceptually. I'm worried about the current pte_young() logic and
the fact that pages can evade swap_out() completely just by being used
(read access) at least once per scan. This not only makes the system slow
(which we dont care), but also unusable in certain cases. This is an
existing problem, Alan got 2.2 reports of frequent GFP_DMA failures on 1GB
boxes. (weird combination of hardware i agree) The zone rewrite already
made the situation much better by ordering zones, and i'll be completely
happy if we make the pte_young() branch in try_to_swap_out() at least
conditional on memory pressure :-)

-- mingo