Re: Modules ??

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 03:48:55 EST

In <HNFONFBLDFBBBAAA@mailcity.com> Syed Khader Vali (sidcarter@mailcity.com) wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> This might look very silly as I am learning the
> kernel internals just now. Is it possible that
> I can create a module that works with any
> version of the kernel ( for 2.2.xx kernels and beyond ) without meddling with the kernel.

Ouch. NOT AGAIN ! This thread (about possibility of binary modules across
different versions of kernel) is raised quite regularly. Check l-k archives
to find out why it's not supported.

> How do I do it without changing the config
> options and recompiling the kernel if there is
> any chance of doing it ??

There are NO such chance.

> Or I am thinking of something which is not
> possible at all ??

It's possible. In theory. Core kernel developers are ACTIVELY against
binary modules support. So there.

> I would like to write a module which is
> precompiled and which can be dynamically loaded
> with any version of the kernel without any
> recompilation of the kernel. Is this possible??

No.