Re: MediaVision Pro Audio Spectrum 16

From: Thomas Molina (tmolina@home.com)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 16:49:13 EST

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > it work with modules. It seems impossible to tell the OSS driver to
> > load different
> > modules for /dev/dsp0 and /dev/dsp1.
>
> It generates requests for different sound minors for each request.
>
> > Module loading attempts just give me a "device busy" error, a built-in
> > driver
> > merely logs "sound initialization started" followed by "finished", no
> > card info
> > inbetween, and no error messages.
>
> I dont believe it has changed 2.2 -> 2.3 . I don't have a PAS to debug it
> so the fixing rests on those who do

Indeed, a diff between the relevant pas2_*.c modules in 2.2.13 and
2.3.38 produces no output; i.e. they are the same. I have the subject
soundcard and haven't had a problem with it since 1.2.13.

I never recommend compiling support for this card as modular; there
seems to be no end of trouble initializing it.

Points to consider when troubleshooting:

1. Ensure you aren't trying to use the same IRQ as a network card.
>From the factory it is configured to use 11, which a lot of network
cards try to also grab.

2. Try defining SYMPHONY_PAS when compiling the code. Per the comments
in the source code, this could fix problems if a particular board has
the symphony chip.

3. Has the code been compiled correctly but no sound? aumix, or some
other userspace program may need to be used to set the volume.

Following is the relevant configuration used to compile my kernel. I
hope some of this helps people.

#
# Sound
#