Re: vger rejecting messages from mediaone (ORBS is evil)

From: Blu3Viper (david@killerlabs.com)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 06:54:54 EST

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > almost since it's inception. They are also blocking above.net which
> > hosts VA linux systems, linux.com, Ebay, etc. Dave Rand (founder of
> > Above.net and author of the free MRTG software) is violently anti-spam.
> > Above.net is being blocked by
>
> Then he should fix his open relays. Sorry I _get_ (got nowdays I use orbs)
> spam from above.net. There are over a hundred open relays on above.net
> from the database. A quick test by a #linux user found that above.net's
> main mail machine appeared to relaying when fed the old
> <"user@domain"@domain> chestnut

If above.net has servers that are open then above.net should be the one
affected. Blackisting ALL ADDRESS SPACE associated with above.net isn't the
right way. Let's say the address space in UK is provided for by above.net.
It now affects your mail personally although the UK itself may have
absolutely no open relays and all mail servers in the UK are listed as
'good' in the ORBS db.

Global blacklisting like this isn't the right way to get things fixed.
Human nature is going to target ORBS, not above.net.

> > Basically, ORBS is run by a megalomaniac who wants to force his views on others.
> How can someone force their views with an opt in service.

Consider it insiduous, just like many forms of marketing. "We're good, use
us" and the we unknowingly begins blocking a significant portion of the
community. I.e. vger is dropping a good lot of email from perfectly valid
users of the vger lists.

-d