Re: [Patch] Cleanup struct gendisk registration, 2.3.40-pre1

From: Gadi Oxman (gadio@netvision.net.il)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 14:22:27 EST

Hi,

(Hope this gets into linux-kernel. Lately vger rejects e-mails from
my ISP in Israel, leading to the effect that my posts to linux-kernel
are considered spam and rejected, which makes it very hard for me
to participate in the discussion).

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
>
> Gadi,
>
> If you have a minute, chime in please...
>
> > There is another interesting issue with modules: we have dependencies in
> > IDE family and for modules they guarantee some ordering. AFAICS it is
> > different from the sequence of initializations in case of built-in stuff.
> > Something is very bogus with ide-scsi and it's not the current patch -
> > the problem is that sometimes it fails to read partition table / mount the
> > stuff. And it's not a timeout issue - at least not directly. It complains
> > about the bogus requests in the subdriver's queue. Looks like it's doing
> > so since '97-'98...

ide-scsi is both a low level SCSI host adapter driver and a low level
IDE subdriver. As such, it is using the request queue as every IDE
subdriver, but does not support normal block device read/write requests
from the ll_rw_block layer, and prints a warning when it gets such a
request.

Instead, when ide-scsi gets a request from the higher SCSI layers,
it creates a request with a special "cmd" code and queues it on
its subdriver queue. Those are the requests which can be serviced
by the low level part of ide-scsi.

Could you please update me on what's happened recently, and what
seems to be the problem? I haven't been the following latest developments.

>From the context, I get the impression that there were some enhancements
to the block device layer, and that the partition scan of an ATAPI ZIP
under ide-scsi no longer works?

In any case, ide-scsi does not scan the partition table itself. It's
the SCSI disk driver's, sd.c, which does that. ide-scsi will just accept
the SCSI CDB and send them as packet commands on the IDE bus.

Cheers,

Gadi