Re: Which sound card

From: Richard Adams (pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 02:56:49 EST

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Scott Felton wrote about, Which sound card:
> I run a minimal system here. P166 - 64m RAM - 1.7g HD - Slackware 7.0
> using Blackbox WM in X. I have never found much need for a sound card
> but lately I have thought I'd like to play with one in Linux. The dealer
> I usually buy components from has these (in my price range)...
>
> $19.00 S3 Sonic Vibes 617 3D sound PCI bus with wavetable.
> $15.00 Trident 4DW 3D sound 64 voice PCI bus wavetable
> $19.00 Ess 938F 3D sound 64 voice PCI bus wavetable
> $25.00 Creative Lab Sound Blaster 16 Vibra PCI
> $39.00 Creative Lab Sound Blaster 64 Value edition with 512k PnP wavetable
>
> Which of these (if any) would be suitable for a "low performance"
> choice for my Linux system? Has anyone used any of these with Linux for
> first hand opinions? Thanks...

As to performance i would imagen they would all come into the same
catagory, i personaly have a Creative PCI64, i belive all the cards
mentioned are supported under linux.

You as a Radio ham might be thinking "soundmodem" i have no experiance so i
cannot comment as to which one would suit ham needs.

That you could ask on the linux-hams list, or take a look at the linux-hams
archive at;

http://hes.iki.fi/archive/linux-hams

--
Regards Richard