Re: [Semi-OT,important] ORBS globally blocks users of these lists

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 11:47:12 EST

In <Pine.LNX.4.10.10001171406250.15683-100000@mirkwood.dummy.home> Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org) wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Blu3Viper wrote:

>> You missed my qualifier. I asked that ORBS not be used while they
>> practice their policy of global blacklisting. I fully support
>> ORBS in it's efforts to stop spam by affecting the broken systems.
>> Any servers on Above.net address space that are open should be
>> listed. The other hundreds of thousands should remain fully free.

> Then tell us how ORBS can scan those hosts to determine
> they're allright? Remember that above.net has blocked
> ORBS...

Above.net has blocked ORBS for it's own servers. mail.linux.com is NOT blocked.
Even more: it's tested by ORBS and added to ORBS whitelist (*.ok.orbs.org.).
But since above.net's netblocks are added in ORBS blacklist (type 4 aka
"netblock") and most systems do not use ORBS whitelist but use just ORBS
blacklist without paying attention to record type (it's in ORBS's samples)
mail.linux.com is effectively blocked.

> As long as above.net doesn't give ORBS (and others?) a
> way to make sure their hosts don't relay, I'm more than
> happy to block their whole network (as an ORBS user).

Above.net doesn't give ORBS way to make sure SOME of their hosts don't relay.
For some hosts (like mail.linux.com) such access is granted, systems was probed
and listed in ORBS's whitelist.

> So valinux and linux.com can't send email to vger, funet
> and dozens of other sites and kernel developers?
> When it starts to inconvenience them they should chose
> a different ISP, I know I'll continue using ORBS...

The question is "HOW" you are using ORBS. Do you check ONLY ORBS's blacklist
or whitelist too ?