Re: [Patch] Cleanup struct gendisk registration, 2.3.40-pre1

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 12:35:57 EST

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> Its caught errors before that probably avoided people losing data. Its a good
> sanity check.

The thing is, that you can do that as easily in user space by having a
"ext2fastcheck" thing or similar, something that CAN make sense.

What it really is, is just a "fast fsck". And it should be treated as
such. It should _not_ be some silly mount option.

> The "stupid" defaults are two other things
>
> o Using 1K blocks on large disks (4K is way faster) and
> 4K checks way faster too

Agreed. I think the current mke2fs uses 4kB blocks by default if the
filesystem size is larger than some arbitrary number (a few hundred meg, I
think).

> o Not using the "sparse superblock" option on large disks
> when creating them.

Which is not all that stupid, considering that a number of 2.2.x kernels
don't support it, I guess..

> Unfortunately I dont think there are any "in place" fixers for those creation
> time choices

At least the blocksize thing is rather hard to fix in place. I suspect the
complexity is equivalent to writing a good de-fragger.

                Linus