Re: [Patch] Polling on more than 16000 file descriptors

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@sco.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 08:01:03 EST

I just noticed your patch but why do you use vmalloc() above just 1 page
and not the kmalloc()'s limit of 128K? Surely below 128K kmalloc() is
faster than vmalloc()? (I know ipc_alloc() does the same but why?).

And, btw, since now the number of users of vmalloc() in
performance-critical paths is growing, perhaps it is worth to come back to
the patch I submitted for review ages ago that adds vmlist_lock rw
spinlock and makes vmalloc() SMP-safe?

I.e. why should we continue adding lock/unlock_kernel around
vmalloc()/vfree() when we can get rid of the issue altogether.

Tigran A. Aivazian |
Escalations Research Group | tel: +44-(0)1923-813796
Santa Cruz Operation Ltd |

the body of a message to
Please read the FAQ at