Re: [Patch] Polling on more than 16000 file descriptors

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@sco.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 10:40:11 EST

On 18 Jan 2000, Andi Kleen wrote:
> or better rework the poll interface to support a linked list of poll
> blocks.

or use kmalloc() all the time allocating pollfds in chunks, like I
described in previous message. In fact, this morning I mailed to
Alan privately mentioning three approaches -

  a) my very first attempt (kmalloc if <128K, vmalloc otherwise)
     not a good idea for fragmentation reasons, as you say.

  b) chunk-ed allocation (so far I believe is the best)

  c) adjusting slab to allow 256K (see my earlier patch, again a bad
     idea for the same reasons as a).

So, unless I see something definitely superior to b) I am going to do it.

Regards,
Tigran.