Re: [patch] Proper MCA detection for AHA-1640

From: Christophe Beauregard (chris.beauregard@ec.gc.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 04:33:32 EST

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, David Weinehall wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Adam Fritzler wrote:
> > Works on my PS/2 Model 80. It only adds stuff thats wrapped in CONFIG_MCA
> > checks, so shouldn't affect you ISA users at all.
>
> I'll do a thorough review of your code, but unless someone yells:
> 'No! ISA & MCA _does_ coexist in Machine xxyy from company zz', I will
> make some changes to the code that skips ISA autoprobe if an MCA-adapter
> is found...

At a glance I'd say there may be some issues with trying to get multiple
adapters detected in a particular order. Otherwise it looks fine.

I had a report a couple years ago of one machine which supposedly allows you to
plug in MCA, ISA, EISA, and PCI (possibly more) at the same time. It's vaguely
possible that I still have the e-mail floating around one of my many inboxes if
it's really important.

Unless someone else can back me up on it (I imagine that if such a strange
machine exists outside of the imagination of the sender of the mentioned e-mail,
someone on linux-kernel would have heard of it), I'd suggest breaking MCA/ISA
cooexistance. They're incompatible by design and anyone who's managed to beat
them into cooperating should also be bright enough to fix/break the source
themselves.

c. [MCA Linux maintainer <defunct>]